We're working with Liberty Arts Yorkshire to give boxes of practical theatre resources to families in Bradford that might need a helping hand during lockdown.
Theatre in a Box packages have been distributed to families at risk, on low incomes or with limited internet access. We have delivered 200 of the free boxes to the doorsteps of families in the Bradford area and are working to distribute more.
The project is part of our work with Bradford Alhambra on our Shakespeare Nation programme to create a nation of Shakespeare and theatre lovers around the country.
Theatre in a Box contains everything a family needs to produce their own puppet theatre and ideas for their first show, as well as a dance to learn and story reading sessions on DVD.
The box for children aged 2-6 is based on fairytales, while the box for age 7-11 themed on A Midsummer Night's Dream. They include:
- Plot summary (age 7-11)
- Short script
- Puppet theatre kit and instructions
- Stick puppets to cut out with lolly sticks to hold them up
- 2 props eg fairy wand, crown, mask, small mirror
- Character cards (age 7-11)
- Crayons or coloured pencils
- A specially recorded DVD of stories and a dance to learn
- RSC craft resources with colouring sheets and instructions to make a flower crown and donkey's ears
Theatre in a Box is one of many projects we're working on with our partner theatres around the country.
Others include working with Blackpool Grand Theatre to deliver Shakespeare workshops for isolated adults and with Marlowe Theatre, Canterbury to provide online voice workshops for people who have had few opportunities to use their voice in the three months of lockdown.