The musical, which started life in Stratford-upon-Avon, has scooped eight Green Room awards in Melbourne, including Best Production of a Musical.
The Green Room awards are Melbourne’s premiere performing arts awards and were presented at the city's Comedy Theatre on Sunday (26 March).
In the Music Theatre category we won Best Production as well as the following awards:
- Lighting Design - Hugh Vanstone
- Set Design - Rob Howell
- Costume Design - Rob Howell
- Sound Design - Simon Baker
- Music Direction - Stephen Amos
- Betty Pounder Award for Excellence in Choreography - Peter Darling
- Direction - Matthew Warchus
Matilda The Musical opened in the Courtyard Theatre, Stratford-upon-Avon in 2010. It transferred to the Cambridge Theatre in London’s West End in 2011, where it continues to run and is also touring Australia and the US, following a three-year run on Broadway.
See the full list of Green Room award winners.