Get a glimpse into the world of Dream, and find out what to expect from the performance.
Although our new performance Dream is designed to be watched on your phone or computer from home, it is very much a live piece of theatre.
The actors play their parts live for each performance in a motion capture space. You'll see the actors themselves briefly, but for most of the performance you'll see their avatars in a virtual forest – like characters in a computer game but created by the movements of the actors taking place in real time.
Watch the video below to get a feel for the performance:
What to expect
- Dream isn't a full performance of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream but it is a magical, live, online performance set in the world of the play.
- There are two ticket options: you can watch the performance for free by booking an Audience ticket, or, if you'd like to interact directly with the performance, Audience Plus tickets are £10.
- With an Audience Plus ticket, you take on the role of a firefly, exploring the forest and influencing what is happening in the world of the performance through your phone, tablet or computer. Guidance on how to interact is provided in the Dream Lobby before the main show begins.
- You can enjoy Dream on your phone, tablet or computer. We'll perform a quick device check before you book to suggest which option might be best for the devices you have available to you.
- The whole experience lasts about 50 minutes – this includes time to explore the Dream Lobby, watch the live show, and stay around for a backstage tour.
- Dream is a research and development project funded within the Audience of the Future programme by UK Research and Innovation.
If you have any other questions, then check out our FAQs.