A week of socially distanced drama and connecting teachers together.
Every year at this time we welcome our Lead Associate School teachers and theatre partners to Stratford-upon-Avon for three training days. This couldn't happen this year, so instead we moved online, hosting events throughout the week, and giving teachers valuable opportunities for contact with each other which they may not have had this year.
Teachers from our Associate Schools joined together for this series of events this week:
- Monday: a discussion about Shakespeare, identity, and inclusive classrooms with Professor Ayanna Thompson of Arizona University, Azita Zohhadi, a recently retired Head Teacher and three members of our Youth Advisory Board.
- Tuesday: Movement and music session with Movement Director Ingrid Mackinnon and Composer Tarek Merchant, followed by an evening conversation with former Children’s Laureate Malorie Blackman.
- Wednesday: Socially distanced Shakespeare streamed live from the Swan Theatre to teachers and youth theatre leaders, exploring how we can continue to practically explore Shakespeare’s work within a Covid-safe environment.
- Thursday: Big ideas for 2021 - break out groups discuss new ideas and plans for 2021 and beyond, and a quiz hosted by The Grand Theatre Blackpool,
- Friday: Q&A for students with actors Joseph Kloska and Kemi-Bo Jacobs. We also filmed video to distribute to our Associate Schools highlighting different careers in theatre (focusing on backstage roles), with contributions from our theatre partners across the country.