We announce six shows to play next summer in the Royal Shakespeare and Swan Theatres, including three Shakespeare plays and a brand new musical.
We will perform three of Shakespeare’s most popular titles - Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet and The Merry Wives of Windsor. These will play alongside Webster’s The Duchess of Malfi, a revival of a little-known 17th century play by Mary Pix - The Fantastic Follies of Mrs Rich, and Miss Littlewood - a new musical on the life of theatre revolutionary, Joan Littlewood.
The season plays from March to September 2018 - watch the video below for a taste of next summer in Stratford-upon-Avon.
Royal Shakespeare Theatre
Three much-loved Shakespeare plays, joined by a revival of our critically acclaimed King Lear.
- Macbeth: Polly Findlay will direct Christopher Eccleston in his RSC debut as Macbeth, with Niamh Cusack returning to the company to play Lady Macbeth in a thrillingly dark, modern production
- Romeo and Juliet: looking at a generation of young people born into violence and ripped apart by the divisions of their parents. Erica Whyman directs, with students from our Associate Schools playing the Chorus, alongside the professional cast
- King Lear: a three-week revival of Gregory Doran’s hugely successful production with Antony Sher in the title role
- The Merry Wives of Windsor: Fiona Laird will direct the heart-warming comedy with David Troughton as Falstaff
Three excitingly diverse plays, with leading roles for women.
- The Duchess of Malfi: John Webster’s violent revenge tragedy, directed by Maria Aberg
- The Fantastic Follies of Mrs Rich (or The Beau Defeated): by Mary Pix, Aphra Behn’s 17th century contemporary, and directed by Jo Davies
- Miss Littlewood: a brand new musical, directed by Erica Whyman, about inspirational and revolutionary theatre maker, Joan Littlewood, with book, music and lyrics by Sam Kenyon, developed in collaboration with Theatre Royal Stratford East
Priority booking for our Summer 2018 shows opens from 25 September 2017.
More about priority booking