As part of National Apprenticeship Week 2023, we’re sharing the stories of some of our newest apprentices, how they came to join us, and what it means to them to be part of the programme.

Our apprenticeships are designed for people who want to take a work-based path into theatre while earning a salary, and come with the opportunity to gain Level 2 and/or Level 3 qualifications – equivalent to GCSEs and A’Levels.

Play video

The apprentices are employed directly by the Royal Shakespeare Company and work in-house for approximately 80% of their time. The other 20% is allocated for work towards their qualifications with a training provider. Each apprentice’s learning is supported by expert colleagues and mentors at the RSC and teachers and lecturers at the colleges.

Our newest apprentices are working across the company in a wide range of departments including operations, automation, learning and front of house. Previous apprentices have worked in carpentry, props and scenic engineering.

As well as a theatre, we are a national centre for teaching, training, learning and research about Shakespeare and theatre arts. Apprenticeships are part of our ambition to create progression routes for young people with under-represented protected characteristics and/or from lower socio-economic backgrounds into targeted opportunities across all areas of our work.

We have pledged to extend our current programme of apprenticeships to 28 by Spring 2024. All our apprenticeships are advertised online on our current vacancies page. You can sign up to have new apprenticeship opportunities sent straight to your inbox through our job alerts. 


7 February 2023
You are in: About us