The purposes for which the Corporation is established and incorporated are as follows:
- To conserve, advance and disseminate the dramatic heritage of Shakespeare and to keep alive his memory by the production and presentation of his works to the highest artistic standards at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre at Stratford-upon-Avon in Our County of Warwick and in Our County of Greater London and elsewhere throughout the world and by the annual commemoration of his Birthday in fitting manner and by other means.
- To conserve, advance and disseminate Shakespearean drama literature and knowledge both in Our United Kingdom and throughout the world.
- To advance and improve the dramatic art in Our United Kingdom and throughout the world by developing, extending and refreshing the skills and experience of the Corporation’s employees by the production and presentation of dramatic performances of all kinds and by teaching and training and other educational activities including the establishment and maintenance of a school of acting and by other means.
- To own, manage, let and otherwise deal with the said Royal Shakespeare Theatre and its Library and Art Gallery at Stratford-upon-Avon and the other assets and effects and the liabilities of the Company which was incorporated under the Companies Act 1862 and which was known as “The Shakespeare Memorial Theatre” and any other assets, effects and properties of the Corporation (both present and future) for such purposes as shall promote the purposes for which the Corporation is established.
- To maintain and enrich the said Library and Art Gallery.
- To assist and relieve poor and necessitous persons who are either members of the theatrical profession or are or have been employees of or have done service for the Corporation in accordance with a scheme to be made as provided by Article XIII of this Our Charter.
- To solicit and receive subscriptions and gifts of all kinds whether absolute or conditional for the purposes of the Corporation.
- To borrow or raise or secure the payment of money in such manner as the Corporation shall think fit and in particular by mortgaging or charging all or any of the property of the Corporation (both present and future) and to purchase, redeem or pay off any such securities.
- To do such other things as will further any of the purposes aforesaid.