Key facts and figures
Everyone at the RSC, from actors to technicians, milliners to musicians, plays a part in creating the world you see on stage.
Our work begins its life at our Stratford-upon-Avon workshops and theatres and we share it with audiences through our touring, residencies and online activity throughout the world.
Here are some key facts:
- As well as Shakespeare, we perform the work of his contemporaries, other classics and new work.
- 1 million visitors join us at our Stratford-upon-Avon theatres each year.
- We are a national company in the heart of the Midlands, performing throughout the UK and across the world.
- We have been making theatre in Shakespeare's home town for over one hundred years, training generations of the very best theatre makers.
- We are the only theatre company with our own on-site armoury, producing breastplates, gauntlets, belts and weaponry .
- We have worked with 7200 amateur performers and ten partner theatres on our Open Stages project, championing amateur theatre nationwide.
- Each year we reach 450,000 children and young people through our Education work, transforming experiences of Shakespeare in the classroom, on performance and online.
- Matilda The Musical took seven years to develop and now performs to packed theatres in the West End and on Broadway.
- We are a registered charity (number 212481) and we generate 74% of our own income, alongside public investment from Arts Council England.
- Public funding for the arts makes up just 0.05% of Government spending and delivers an extraordinary return, supporting the performances you see on stages all over the country.
Find out more about how our work is Made in Stratford.