Booking is now open for the RSC Certificate in Teaching Shakespeare Intermediate level.
This course is aimed at those teachers who have successfully completed our Foundation course or can evidence a minimum of three days of training with the RSC within the last five years (see 'Eligibility' below). Successful completion of this course will allow you to progress to the final Certification course, leading to the award of the RSC Certificate in Teaching Shakespeare.
This course will develop knowledge, confidence and skills in RSC rehearsal room approaches to the teaching of Shakespeare by:
- Deepening understanding of ways to approach Shakespeare’s plots, language and characters with your students
- Providing ideas on adapting approaches to different classrooms or learning spaces
- Helping you to build a classroom that enables all your students to engage with Shakespeare. In particular we will focus on inclusive practice and stretching and supporting higher attainers.
- Encouraging you to engage more with the evidence-base
- Developing your own abilities to capture and reflect on how rehearsal room approaches affect student attitudes and outcomes
Friday 30th August 2019 10.30am - 4.30pm
The first of two days of immersive training at the RSC in Stratford-upon-Avon. A ticket to see an evening performance of a production in the repertoire is included.
Saturday 31st August 2019 9.30am - 3.30pm
The second of two days of immersive training at the RSC in Stratford-upon-Avon.
Time in School:
For implementation of practices learned, and reflection.
Friday 29th November 2019 10.30am - 4.30pm
A third day covering further training, alongside reflection on how approaches worked in school.
Please note that all the exercises are transferable to other texts and a discussion of transferability will form part of each day.
THE COURSE ALSO INCLUDES
- A resource pack of activities to use in the classroom
- Access to experienced RSC practitioners/artists
- Lunch on all three days
- The chance to network and build relationships with fellow teachers
You will need to arrange your own accommodation.
Costs for the full three days of training, including a theatre ticket to see a production in the repertoire.
- £350 RSC Members
- £400 Non-Members
- £200 for Newly Qualified Teachers (NQTs)
- £680 for non-UK based teachers
Please note: International teachers will need a solid foundation and fluency in written and spoken English.
There are two routes in to the Intermediate course; for those who have successfully completed the Foundation course, and those who have attended a minimum of three days training with the RSC in the last five years.
Successful completion of the Foundation course
Those who have already booked or attended the Foundation course can go straight to booking the Intermediate course. However, please note that attendance at the Intermediate course is dependent upon successful completion of all days of the Foundation Course. Regretfully we are unable to send out performance tickets until we have confirmation of this, and reserve the right to cancel your place on the next course if these conditions are not met.
Those who have attended previous training
Those who have not completed the Foundation course can reserve a place, however confirmation will be reliant on evidence of attendance of at least three days training within the last five years.
Once accepted onto the course you will also be asked to provide a brief piece of reflective writing on a lesson using rehearsal room approaches in the classroom. This should be no more than 800 words in length and will be required six weeks before the course is due to start.
HOW TO BOOK
To book call the Education Box Office on 01789 403434.
This line is answered by a specialist Education team from 8.30am - 5pm, Monday to Friday during term time.
Find out more about our Teacher Professional Development certificate and read our FAQs.