Booking is now open for the RSC Certificate in Teaching Shakespeare Foundation level
If you’re new to teaching, or new to using rehearsal-room approaches to teach Shakespeare, then this course is for you. It will help you acquire the knowledge, confidence and skills to begin using RSC approaches to bring to life Shakespeare’s plays in your classroom.
Friday 4th October 2019 10.30am - 4.30pm
The first of two days immersive training at the RSC in Stratford-upon-Avon. A ticket to see an evening performance of a production in the repertoire (TBC) is included in the cost.
Saturday 5th October 2019 9.30am - 3.30pm
The second of two days immersive training at the RSC in Stratford-upon-Avon.
Time in School:
For implementation of practices learned, and reflection.
Friday 31st January 2020 10.30am - 4.30pm
A third day covering further training, alongside reflection on how approaches worked in school.
*Please note that all the exercises are transferable to other texts and a discussion of transferability will form part of each day
WHAT EACH DAY WILL INCLUDE
Across the three days we will cover:
- Building the foundations: introducing ways of working that will ensure your students are ready to engage with Shakespeare’s plays
- Creating the world of the play: ways of introducing or building on existing knowledge of the play
- Close reading/analysis of a particular speech or scene
- Exploring the language: ways of helping students access Shakespeare’s language
- Developing inclusive practices with a particular focus on supporting lower attainers
- Practical advice around transferability of approaches to other plays
- Throughout each day there will be opportunities to ask questions about adapting the work to your own context
THE COURSE ALSO INCLUDES
- A resource pack of activities to use in the classroom
- Access to experienced RSC practitioners/artists
- Lunch on all three days
- The chance to network and build relationships with fellow teachers
Please note, participants will need to arrange their own accommodation.
Costs for the full three days of training, including a ticket to see a production in the repertoire (TBC).
- £350 RSC Education Members
- £400 Non-Members
- £200 for Newly Qualified Teachers (NQTs)
- £680 for non-UK based teachers
Please note: International teachers are required to have a solid foundation and fluency in written and spoken English.
HOW TO BOOK
You can book by phoning the Education Box Office on 01789 403434.
This line is answered by a specialist Education team from 8.30am - 5pm, Monday to Friday during term time.
Find out more about our Teacher Professional Development certificate and read our FAQs.