A brand new exhibition full of treasures from our archives and museum collection, including rarely-seen props, exquisite costumes and original set designs. Discover the secrets and stories from more than 100 years of theatre-making.
- Try on virtual costumes with a magic costume mirror
- Take the Quick Change Challenge
- Put yourself on our stage through state of the art technology
- See beautifully crafted costumes and props
- Learn how magical and gory stage and sound effects are made - a snapping carrot makes the noise of bone breaking
- Discover how set design, lighting, sound and music all help to create the world you see on stage
The Play's the Thing, opens in Stratford-upon-Avon in October 2016.
For more information about the accessibility of the exhibition visit our access pages.
The Play’s The Thing has been made possible through a £2.8 million award from the HERITAGE LOTTERY FUND, with generous support from the GARFIELD WESTON FOUNDATION, DCMS/WOLFSON MUSEUMS & GALLERIES IMPROVEMENT FUND, THE WOLFSON FOUNDATION and many other generous supporters.