Our apprenticeship scheme offers you an exciting opportunity to learn skills and gain a qualification whilst earning a wage.
You can work in an environment that you may not have previously considered, equipping you for future employment in the theatre industry. You will learn from experts in their field, with a high level of support being given from mentors and learning providers.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is involved in an RSC Apprenticeship?
- Apprenticeships can be varying time periods. Customer Services are one year apprenticeships, Scenic Carpentry and Engineering are three-year apprenticeships.
- Apprentices can study towards a formal qualification (minimum Level 2 NVQ) related to their specialism. College attendance or in house learning with coursework is required.
- Apprentices receive ongoing support from a College Tutor or Assessor, Mentor, Departmental Line Manager and Training and Development Officer.
Would I get paid?
- You will be paid a rate above the adult National Living Wage which will be reviewed annually.
- All relevant training and training materials is paid for by the RSC.
What hours would I work?
- You will work full time, at a maximum of 40 hours per week.
- You will be entitled to 25 days holiday per year, excluding statutory holidays.
What type of Apprentice Schemes are available at the RSC?
- We offer apprenticeships in many areas of the RSC, including our Scenic Workshop and Audience Care. Please sign up to receive vacancy alerts and we will send you an email as soon as a new apprenticeship opportunity is posted.
Am I eligible for the scheme?
- Our apprenticeships are intended for those wishing to pursue a vocational pathway into backstage theatre, and offer the opportunity to achieve Level 2 and/or Level 3 qualifications (equivalent to GCSE (grade A*– C) and A Level). If you already have a relevant degree you will not be eligible for consideration for this scheme.
How can I apply?
- Apprenticeship opportunities are advertised via the current vacancies page on our website.
- To apply for an apprenticeship position, you will need to follow the online application process.
- Following the recruitment closing date, we will let you know whether or not you have been selected for interview.
- Interviews take place at the Royal Shakespeare Company in Stratford-upon-Avon. The interview could include a practical test, assessment day if appropriate and a tour of the building.
- If there are no apprenticeships advertised on the vacancy page, please sign up to receive vacancy alerts and we will send you an email as soon as a new apprenticeship opportunity is posted.
For more information about careers in the theatre visit our careers guidance page