Matilda on Broadway
'Rejoice my theatregoing comrades. Matilda is even more glorious than we were promised. An exhilarating tale of empowerment. Truly revolutionary. Rush now to the Shubert Theatre.'
New York Times
Our award-winning production of Matilda The Musical, directed by Tony Award-winner Matthew Warchus, opened on Broadway on 11 April 2013 to outstanding reviews.
Roald Dahl's magical story about a girl with extraordinary powers has been a favourite novel for millions of people across the world since it was published in 1988, and has been adapted for the stage by the playwright Dennis Kelly, with music and lyrics by the Australian comedian, musician and composer Tim Minchin.
Matilda was named Best Musical for 2012/13 by the New York Drama Critics' Circle in May 2013 and the Broadway run has been nominated for several awards:
- 12 Tony Awards, including Best Musical
- 7 Drama Desk Awards, including Outstanding Musical
- 7 Broadway.com Audience Choice Awards, including Favorite New Musical
- 5 Outer Critics Circle Awards, including Outstanding New Musical
- 2 Drama League Awards, including Outstanding New Musical
The London production continues to run in the West End to sold-out houses and in March 2012 won the most Laurence Olivier Awards ever, taking home seven of the prizes.
Learn more about the show and book tickets.
Matilda The Musical on Broadway is produced by the RSC and The Dodgers.