A new edition of Shakespeare's exuberant early comedy, developed by and for the RSC.
* An introduction to The Two Gentlemen of Verona by award-winning scholar Jonathan Bate
* The play – with clear explanatory notes on each page
* A scene-by-scene analysis
* An introduction to Shakespeare's career and the Elizabethan theatre
* A rich exploration of approaches to staging the play
The most enjoyable way to understand a Shakespeare play is to see it or participate in it. This book presents a historical overview of The Two Gentlemen of Verona in performance, recommends film versions, takes a detailed look at specific productions and includes interviews with directors David Thacker and Edward Hall, this new edition of the play offers innovative ways of looking at and understanding Shakespeare, so that we may get a sense of the extraordinary variety of interpretations that are possible - a variety that gives Shakespeare his unique capacity to be reinvented and made 'our contemporary' four centuries after his death.
Ideal for students, theatre-goers, actors and general readers, the RSC Shakespeare editions offer an accessible and contemporary approach to reading and rediscovering Shakespeare's works for the twenty-first century.