* An introduction to Macbeth by award-winning scholar Jonathan Bate
* The play – with clear explanatory notes on each page
* A scene-by-scene analysis
* An introduction to Shakespeare's career and the Elizabethan theatre
* A rich exploration of approaches to staging the play
The most enjoyable way to understand a Shakespeare play is to see it or participate in it. This book presents a historical overview of Macbeth in performance, recommends film versions, takes a detailed look at specific productions and includes interviews with leading Directors Rupert Goold, Gregory Doran and Trevor Nunn so that we may get a sense of the extraordinary variety of interpretations that are possible - a variety that gives Shakespeare his unique capacity to be reinvented and made 'our contemporary' four centuries after his death.
Ideal for students, theatre-goers, actors and general readers, the RSC Shakespeare editions offer an accessible and contemporary approach to reading and rediscovering Shakespeare's works for the twenty-first century.