For the first time, you can access mobile captions for three outdoor performances this summer.
Bring your mobile phone to The Dell next month to take advantage of three new captioned performances.
The shows will be captioned using The Difference Engine, allowing you to access captions directly on your phone or mobile device. Simply download the app, connect to the Difference Engine network when you arrive at The Dell, and the captions will be sent through to the device automatically once the performance has started.
You can see three different shows using the technology:
- The Two Gentlemen of Verona - The Stratford Shakespeare Company: Sunday 4 August, 12 noon
- Richard III - BMH Productions: Sunday 25 August, 12 noon
- Romeo and Juliet - BMH Productions: Sunday 25 August, 3pm
The Dell is situated on the banks of the River Avon in Avonbank Gardens, near Holy Trinity Church. Entrance is free and there's no booking - just turn up, but visitors planning to use the captioning software are recommended to download the app before arriving. Watch the video on the Difference Engine website to get started.
You can also enjoy captioned performances of our in-theatre shows, where character names and dialogue are displayed on large screens next to the stage. Upcoming captioned performances this year include:
- As You Like It - Saturday 20 July
- Venice Preserved - Friday 26 July
- The Taming of the Shrew - Saturday 3 August
- Measure for Measure - Thursday 8 and Wednesday 28 August
- The Provoked Wife - Wednesday 14 August
- A Museum in Baghdad - Friday 29 November
- King John - Wednesday 11 December
Visit our Assisted Performances page for more information and to book tickets.