A chance for a student to win £1,000 and spend a day at our Costume Workshop in Stratford-upon-Avon getting hands on experience from a professional team.
We are working with our Official Thread Supplier, Coats, to provide this exclusive opportunity to a budding designer.
All you need to do is design a modern day costume for a Shakespearean character of your choice. You are encouraged to submit innovative interpretations, where your design explores inventive use of materials and meets the demands required of theatre performance costumes.
The design brief
- Design a modern day costume for a character from any Shakespeare play. This must be one costume for one character but may consist of multiple pieces to a maximum of four.
- Sketch your design on A3 paper (include annotations about material choices).
- Coats products must be used in the costume (see www.coats.com). Include reference to these in your annotations.
- Attach a 500 word rationale about your costume design concept, style and features, and why you have chosen these to suit the character and costume in question.
- Include an indicative budget for materials to a total maximum of £500.
- Once you have completed your design,
- enter the Shakespeare Refashioned competition.
- Read and agree the competition terms and conditions.
Things to consider:
- Remember that stage costumes are viewed from varying distances, both close-up and afar.
- Be mindful of the fact that a costume establishes the character with the audience. Learn about some of Shakespeare’s characters.
- Consider how your costume will works together with other characters on stage.
- Theatre costumes must be durable, keep this in mind in your design. Read about the process of making theatre.
- Remember to enjoy the process and have fun.
Closing date: 14 January 2019