Two new weekends of theatre training for amateur, community and non-professional theatre makers.
From Les Misérables to Matilda The Musical, and now The Boy in the Dress, we have a track record of creating hit musicals. For the first time we will take you behind the scenes to learn from our creative and technical teams.
Weekend One: How to make a Musical
Saturday 15 and Sunday 16 February 2020
This weekend of practical workshops will look at the making process, skills and techniques of musical theatre. Participants will work with members of the creative team behind The Boy in the Dress and other leading industry professionals to explore the process of bringing a major professional musical to the stage.
The workshops will cover areas such as:
- Choreography - looking at how to choreograph a musical number/production
- The role of the musical director - working with and getting the most out of singers, actors and musicians
- Directing - leading rehearsals, staging a show, and working with both experienced and less experienced cast members
- The production process - talking to the production team, looking at scheduling and organisation
Weekend Two: How to perform in a Musical
Saturday 29 February and Sunday 1 March 2020
This weekend of practical workshops with members of the creative team for The Boy in the Dress and other leading industry professionals takes you inside the rehearsal process to learn some of the skills, techniques and processes of professional musical theatre.
The workshops will cover key areas for musical theatre performers, including:
- Dance - working with our Choreography team behind The Boy in the Dress
- Singing - developing skills with our Musical Directors
- Acting - exploring being an actor in a musical with RSC Directors
Each weekend ticket price also includes:
- Lunch on both days
- Ticket to The Play’s The Thing, our interactive exhibition
- Opportunities for Q&As with industry professionals
- Backstage tour of our theatres
- A chance to purchase a discounted ticket to see our acclaimed new musical The Boy in the Dress on the Saturday night.
Registration is from 9.30am at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre.
The weekend will finish at 5.30pm on Sunday.
All workshops take place in our rehearsal rooms as well as the Clore Learning Centre, The Other Place and onstage in the Royal Shakespeare Theatre, Stratford-upon-Avon.
Price £205 per weekend (does not include accommodation)
Participants must be aged 18+
Tickets are available by calling the RSC Ticket Hotline on 01789 33111 or in person at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre Box Office. Early booking is recommended as places are limited.
Tickets are not currently available online.
All sessions are suitable for both those starting out and those with more experience. To help us tailor the sessions an enrollment form will be sent so you can tell us your previous experience and any areas you would like covered.