The RSC Lighting Department work closely with the director and designer to build up an appropriate atmosphere for a production at home and on tour.
The responsibilities of the department include pyrotechnics, smoke, projection, luminaries, colour-changers, hand-held lanterns and much, much more.
About the placement
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work alongside members of the Lighting Department and be involved in:
- Preparation of rigs
- Completion of colour/scroller calls
- Rigging, cabling, and focusing of lighting rigs
- Provide general lighting support for world renowned RSC productions
We are looking for applicants with a proven commitment to a career in theatre lighting.
- Studying (or having recently completed study) towards a degree (or equivalent qualification) in a related field
- Experience of technical theatre within a school, amateur, or professional context
- Familiarity with Manual Handling processes
- Excellent communication skills
- Self motivated
- Ability to work on your own initiative
- Confident and polite manner
- Strong team player
- Due to Health and Safety regulations candidates must be 18 years or older.
- Understanding of Health and Safety at Work Act
- A good understanding of stage lighting and general principles of technical theatre.
Stage 1 - Application
Stage 2 - Informal interview
Stage 3 - Successful candidate begins placement.
Please note this placement is only available to candidates 18 years of age or over. See our programme for under 18s.