The new TOP
We have a new idea for the future life of our small-scale studio space, The Other Place (TOP).
TOP was our studio theatre where many of our smaller productions were staged and new work developed in Stratford-upon-Avon.
It closed in 2005 to accommodate the creation of the temporary Courtyard Theatre to house our productions when the main theatres were closed for the transformation.
We would like to retain the existing structure of the current Courtyard Theatre and remodel its internal space to create a vibrant, new mixed-use TOP.
Since our small studio theatre, the TOP, closed to allow us to create the temporary 1,000 seat Courtyard Theatre, we have always planned to reinstate it. Mindful of the present economic climate and the current arts funding picture, we've explored a range of options for its future life to create a vibrant new space and resource for Stratford-upon-Avon. It also takes account of the present economic climate and the current arts funding picture.
We would like to:
- Retain the existing structure of the current Courtyard Theatre
- Remodel its internal space to create a new-style, mixed use TOP
- Make over 30,000 costumes available to the public for the first time through our theatre tours
- Create an attractive space which could provide opportunities for community, amateur and educational use
- Use the space for small conferences and meetings and occasional commercial hire
The building would look very similar with the rehearsal rooms lit from above via skylights. Instead of windows, we want to insert slim reveals in the Corten steel which point to the riverside at the sides to allow light into the rest of building above the auditorium level.
Reinstating TOP is part of the final phase of our Transformation project along with the Swan Gallery refurbishment, which is the subject of a bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund, and the revamping of our Costume Workshops on Waterside.