Cocktails to encourage leap year love this Valentine's Day
1 February 2012
Luke Baddeley, Head Bartender at the Royal Shakespeare Company's Rooftop Restaurant in the Royal Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford-upon-Avon, has prepared two very special cocktails for Valentine's Day.
As 2012 is a leap year – traditionally a time when women can propose marriage – Luke is hoping that his concoctions will work some magic by instilling ladies with the courage to pop the question to their partners.
The Rooftop Restaurant's resident “mixologist”, Luke took the inspiration for the cocktails from Shakespeare's romantic comedy, The Taming of the Shrew, a new production of which is playing to critical acclaim at the RSC until 18 February before embarking on a national tour.
In this scintillating study of sexual politics, Katharina, the feisty, headstrong “shrew” of the title, resists the advances of her brash and charismatic suitor Petruchio before finally succumbing to his charms.
So playing on the wedding theme and in keeping with the leap year tradition Luke devised his special cocktails which will imbue ladies with the courage to 'To speak the ceremonial rites of marriage!' (The Taming of the Shrew, Act III, Scene II)
'With Valentine's Day fast approaching, the RSC's Rooftop Restaurant is the perfect place for a romantic night out for two and with this being a leap year we thought we could have some more fun so I've prepared these special leap year “love potions”.'
Luke went on to describe his cocktails:
'I've named the cocktails Katharina's Kiss and Petruchio's Passion after the leading characters in The Taming of the Shrew.
'Katharina's Kiss is a sweet and delicate mix of English sparkling rosé, Ridgeview Fitzrovia 2008, Bacardi and blueberries and Petruchio's Passion is an almost beery looking brew, containing a measure of local ale Mad Goose from brewer Purity Ales with lovely fruity flavours alongside a subtle hint of chocolate.
'I hope all of our customers will enjoy our cocktails but if they do have the desired effect that would be fantastic as we'd love to witness a proposal here at the RSC.'
Further information: Please contact Mark Farnan in the RSC press office on 01789 272438 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please contact Mark Farnan in the RSC press office on 01789 272438 or via email .
- The cocktails are available at the RSC Rooftop Restaurant Bar at £7.50 each and £14 for the pair.
- Further photographs of the cocktails – Katharina's Kiss and Petruchio's Passion - available on request.
- The RSC Rooftop Restaurant Valentine's menu is available from 7.30pm on Saturday 11 and Tuesday 14 February.
- The Valentine's menu consists of a three course meal with a glass of multi award-winning Ridgeview Grosvenor Blanc de Blancs '07 on arrival for £32.50 per head. Each couple will also receive a complimentary copy of Shakespeare's Sonnets.
- More information including menu details available on our Rooftop Restuarant website.
- Tables can be reserved by calling 01789 403449.
- The Taming of the Shrew plays at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre until Saturday 18 Feb 2012 and then tours throughout the UK.