The role of the Casting Department at the RSC is to find actors for our productions.
We work closely with our directors and producers on all casting requirements for individual productions, workshops and play readings. We check actor availabilities, liaise closely with actors' agents, organise auditions, as well as contributing towards the artistic planning of the Company.
The Casting Department are constantly on the look-out for new talent and attend productions around the country, on the fringe, at drama schools and in the West End several times a week as well as watching films and television. This part of their work is vital both to getting to know actors they may not have seen in performance before but also to follow the development of performers with whose work they are already familiar. They are then in a position to introduce actors to directors and invite them to audition.
Available placement dates: The next placement in the Casting Department will be available in Spring 2013. Applications will be welcomed from February 2013, so keep an eye on this section of the website for more information in the new year.
Length of placement: Two weeks
Location of placement: London
About the placement
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to do some or all of the following:
- Find out how a busy producing theatre company handles casting on a day to day basis
- Develop an understanding of the skills required of casting professionals
- Help the department in casting productions for our upcoming seasons in Stratford and London
- Activities may include: checking actors' availabilities, setting up auditions, booking audition space, updating cast lists, liaising with agents, attending drama school showcases, attending plays and other productions, internet research, data entry, opening and replying to post and other general office administration.
We are looking for applicants who are interested in finding out more about a career in casting.
- High level of literacy, numeracy and attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- Have the ability to act with integrity and to observe confidentiality
- Knowledge of and passion for theatre
- A willingness to join in and have a go at a varied array of task and challenges.
- Degree or equivalent qualification/work experience
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Word, and Internet Explorer
- The confidence to work alone on specific tasks, when necessary
- The ability to remain calm under pressure.
Shortlisted candidates will attend an informal interview in Stratford-upon-Avon, with members of the Casting Department.
Would you like us to send you an email when this placement becomes available?
Sign up for RSC job alerts