Music from Richard II available soon
Later this month we'll be releasing the music from our production of Richard II on CD and as a download at the iTunes store. You can pre-order it from our online shop today.
The recording is the first in a series which captures some of the live and specially commissioned music composed for our productions. The album will be released on CD and for download from 18 October 2013.
We commission more new music than almost any other organisation in the UK and yet, when the production is over, the score is consigned to the archive and rarely heard again – until now.
Long lost music by Vaughan Williams
The Richard II recording contains words and music from the production which opens shortly in Stratford-upon-Avon. There are speeches from the play from David Tennant, Jane Lapotaire and Michael Pennington. And Paul Englishby's original music composed for the current production is recorded alongside music from the 1913 production by Ralph Vaughan Williams.
The Vaughan Williams composition is taken from our archive and not heard since the time of the production's performance. He also composed music for The Merry Wives of Windsor and Henry V in the 1913/14 season.
Copies of the CD, priced at £5.00, are available now to pre order from the RSC online shop.
Track List for Richard II recording
- Lacrimosa (Englishby)
- Richard (Englishby)
- Finds brotherhood in thee no sharper spur? (speech Act I Sc ii Duchess of Gloucester - Jane Lapotaire)
- In Paradisum (Englishby)
- Methinks I am a prophet new inspired (speech Act II Sc i John of Gaunt - Michael Pennington)
- True Born Englishman (Englishby)
- Sicut Cervus (Englishby)
- Of comfort no man speak (speech Act III Sc ii Richard II - David Tennant)
- Bolingbroke (Englishby)
- Requiem Aeternam (Englishby)
- Eased with being nothing (Ralph Vaughan Williams)
- Greensleeves (arr. Ralph Vaughan Williams)
- In weeping after this untimely bier (Ralph Vaughan Williams)
- Agnus dei (Ralph Vaughan Williams)
- Pie Jesu, Amen (Englishby)