Transforming our Theatres
We opened the doors to our new building on Wednesday 24 November 2010, following a three-and-a-half year construction project to transform the Royal Shakespeare and Swan Theatres in Stratford-upon-Avon.
- Transform Elisabeth Scott's 1932 RST, creating the best environment in which to perform and enjoy Shakespeare
- Create a new 1000+ seat thrust-stage auditorium that more closely mirrors the way in which Shakespeare's plays were intended to be performed, bringing the actors and audiences closer together
- Retain key heritage elements of the building while adding bold new architectural designs
- Create a building that is welcoming and improve the theatres' physical relationship with Stratford-upon-Avon, providing public spaces to attract a broad range of audiences and visitors
- Improve physical access to and within the building